Families are already back in the school routine, but it is good to check that proper precautions are taken to keep “safety first” on everyone’s mind.
On the Way to School
- Before you cross the street, stop and look ALL ways to see if cars are coming.
- Walk on the sidewalk at ALL times.
- Never dash in front of cars or quickly cross the street.
Riding the Bus
- Stand approximately six feet away from the curb.
- If you need to cross the street in front of the bus, be sure that you can see the bus driver, and that the bus driver can see you.
- Prevent backpack injuries by not over-stuffing. Place heaviest items at the bottom of the backpack.
- Use both straps and multiple compartments to distribute weight evenly.
- A padded backpack reduces pressure on the back, shoulders and underarms.
- Use an insulated lunchbox to keep cold foods chilled and hot food heated; bacteria flourish at room temps.
- Look for an insulated lining lunchbox and use a thin freezer pack for cold foods.
- Use an insulated container for hot, liquid foods.
- Be sure to wash fruits and veggies thoroughly, or peel them to minimize bacterial contamination.
- Freeze boxes of juice or milk; they’ll defrost by lunch and function as an ice pack.
- Pack a hand sanitizer or antibacterial towelette with lunch.