The Chicagoland HIV Testing Collaborative (CHTC) 2014 is hosting its 3rd annual HIV/HCV testing and social marketing campaign, Step Up. Get Tested., established by staff from the Ruth M. Rothstein CORE Center, HHS Region V Office, the CORE Foundation and more than 25 community-based agencies and organizations located throughout Cook County in recognition of National HIV Testing Day. The goals of the Chicago HIV Testing Collaborative and Step Up. Get Tested. campaign include raising awareness of HIV/AIDS infection in the Chicago metropolitan area; encouraging annual HIV/HCV testing among high risk individuals; combating stigma around HIV testing; and linking those who test positive to care and supportive services.
To achieve these goals, the Collaborative will host mobile testing events in high risk communities; a large community testing event on June 27th, National HIV Testing Day; an educational forum about 4th generation HIV testing; a town hall featuring a discussion about mental and sexual health; and help coordinate with 28 AIDS service organizations, who are Collaborative partners, to host their own testing events. For more information about SUGT testing events for the month of June, please visit – www.stepupgettested.com.
The CORE Center’s Prevention Department will host a series of testing events throughout the month of June at several locations. Testing dates and sites include:
- June 5 @ 18th Street and Paulina (near the 18th Street Pink Line Stop) from 10AM – 4PM
- June 6 @ 5435 South Kedzie (Walgreens) from 10AM – 3PM
- June 6 @ 26th Street and Keeler at La Cueva Bar from 7PM – 10PM
- June 12 @ 3405 South King Drive (Walgreens) from 10AM – 4PM
- June 13 @ Pulaski and Lake (near the Pulaski Green Line Stop) from 10AM – 2PM
- June 13 @ Halsted and 18th Street (Pilsen Open Galleries) 7PM – 10PM
- June 20 @ 5435 South Kedzie (Walgreens) 10AM – 3PM
- June 26 @ 3405 South King Drive (Walgreens) from 10AM – 4PM
- June 27 @ The Thompson Center, 100 West Randolph (SUGT Closing Event) from 10AM – 4PM
For more information about CORE’s Step Up. Get Tested. events, please contact Juan Ortega at firstname.lastname@example.org as well as visit the Prevention Department’s Twitter and Instagram accounts for updates – @corecentercap.
CountyCare representatives will be available at all Step Up. Get Tested. mobile testing events for outreach to and enrollment of uninsured adults. If an individual does not qualify for CountyCare coverage, she/he will be directed to appropriate resources. For more information about CountyCare and to enroll, please call (312) 864-8200 or visit www.countycare.com.